Wednesday, June 11, 2014

review - The Original Pizza Cookery


The Original Pizza Cookery
6209 Topanga Canyon Blvd (at Erwin Street), Woodland Hills
(818) 887-4770

It is always exciting when a restaurant exceeds your expectations. I remember visiting a Pizza Cookery in the 80s on Ventura Blvd either in Encino or further out and thinking that the pizza was excellent. But it was a tiny, hole-in-the-wall pizza joint for takeout. There was not enough room to sit down to enjoy a full meal. So this was what I expected June 10 when I visited The Original Pizza Cookery in Woodland Hills. Boy oh boy, was I in for a surprise! When I walked in what I saw was a comfortable sit-down restaurant with a pleasant Italian decor - tiny Christmas lights everywhere - and when I looked at the menu, there was everything on it from soup to nuts - Italian, of course! I suddenly realized I was in for one gigantic treat. As you probably know by now, Italian is my favorite food. Si, Si, con tutti i mezzi (by all means)!

Owner Jordan Klempner was on hand to welcome us. He told me that this restaurant has been opened for 40 years, and that they just recently added a new lunch menu. Now that's success! 40 years and still thriving! They must be doing something right... the prices are low...and you get good sized portions.

I ordered a fabulous Barbequed Chicken Salad with honey dijon dressing, a half-portion of whole wheat spaghetti with meat sauce and a mini pepperoni/meatball pizza. The salad was so plentiful and delicious, I did manage to eat the pasta, but took the pizza along. My friend Jim had a Caesar Salad, stuffed shells and a mini mushroom/garlic pizza. He raved and raved, as we both savored our lunches like two little kids in a candy store. As I have frequently told most of you, there is always room for dessert. When I heard the menu included spumoni with cookie sticks, I could not resist. I was amazed that such delicious food came at such a reduced cost. I remember eating a year ago at a famous Italian restaurant in Beverly Hills and being disappointed at the small portions served and at such overwhelming prices. Pizza Cookery has every other Italian restaurant beat with a half-portion of pasta - $5.95, and believe me, you get more than enough. My Barbequed Chicken Salad was a mere $7.50, and the pizza cut into 4 slices, with two items, under $14. Amazing!
 There is also a special gluten-free menu for pizza, sandwiches, salads, drinks and bakery items - and a vegan menu, for both lunch and dinner, for eating in as well as take out. Pizza Cookery will also cater your next party or social event.

Some of the specialty items on the menu include: minestrone soup as appetizer, as well as a variety of delicious salads. As far as entrees are concerned, you have a choice of great hero sandwiches that range from tuna to Philly Cheese Steak to grilled chicken to the famous Chicken Parmesan Sandwich, all priced under $12. Pizzas are made available on whole wheat crust as well as regular, and soy mozzarella may be substituted for regular mozzarella. Pizza specials include vegetarian deluxe, southwestern, as well as Greek and Mexican pizzas and a Mediterranean pizza made with olive oil. All pizzas contain the freshest of ingredients including oregano, tomatoes, garlic and cilantro. Combination pizzas range from small at $17 to large at about $25. Pizza Cookery sure wins out over corner pizza stores because Pizza Cookery is high on taste, never skimping on quality. Pasta specials include lasagna, fettuccine alfredo, manicotti, canneloni, chicken parmesan and eggplant parmesan, with an extra nice price under $13 and with house salad included, only $18.25.

I should have been born Italian. I eat more Italian food than any other type of cuisine. So, now that I've re-sampled Pizza Cookery - actually tried the Original Pizza Cookery on Topanga Canyon in Woodland Hills. for the first time in 40 years - I've got a lot of catching up to do. I'll be back.

visit them online at:




Owner Jordan Klempner


No comments:

Post a Comment